Recipe by oloschiavo
No, this soup doesn't have mouse in it! It's a Mexican style tomato-based chicken soup with corn and chillies. It earns its name by taking only half an hour to cook. You can use fresh, canned or frozen corn, whichever you prefer. From an Australian Women's Weekly cookbook.
Top Review by Faux Domesticity
The only soups my husband likes are chili and chicken soup. So this was a big hit with us! It was a nice change to be able to make something different! I used cornstarch with the first cup of broth, instead of using flour, and my husband wanted more of a kick, so I added a tablespoon of chili powder at the end. Very tasty! Thank you!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 2 hot chili peppers, finely sliced, any variety (I like Habaneros)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat half of the oil in a good-sized saucepan, cook chicken until lightly browned and cooked right through.
- Remove chicken from pan and shred into small strips.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan, cook onion 3-4 minutes or until soft.
- Add flour to pan and stir for 1 minute.
- Add stock and juice 1 cup at a time, waiting until mixture thickens slightly after each addition.
- Add chicken, corn and chilli. Stir until heated through.
- Serve topped with cilantro.