Recipe by Singin'Chef
This is fast and easy, tastes even better the day after you make it, and you can embellish it with shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, salsa...the options are endless! I wish I could remember where I got it; seems like I've always had it! I like to add a little chipotle powder to "kick it up" a bit! I'm guessing at how many this will serve...because I'm not good at sharing!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, ALWAYS include liquid with beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and cook onions until slightly brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add one can black beans and smash them - I use a potato masher!
- Raise heat to high and add broth and 2nd can of beans, leaving them whole.
- Stir well and add remaining ingredients.
- Stir again, cover, and bring to boil.
- Reduce to low and simmer to let flavors blend, 8-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove bay leaves and serve!