Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe looks spectacular! Use a two-inch gingerbread-man cutter to make the cookies for the topping. Taken from Epicurious.com and posted for ZWT.
- 650.62 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter, room temperature
- 236.59 ml packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 354.88 ml blanched slivered almonds (about 6 ounces)
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 9.85 ml grated lemon peel
- 9.85 ml fresh lemon juice
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 3.69 ml almond extract
- powdered sugar
- apricot preserves
- For filling:.
- Blend first 8 ingredients in processor until nuts are finely chopped.
- Transfer to small bowl.
- Cover; chill at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- For dough:.
- Sift first 6 ingredients into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until blended; beat in egg.
- Add flour mixture and beat until moist clumps form.
- Gather dough into ball; divide into 2 pieces, 1 slightly larger than the other. Flatten dough into disks; wrap and chill at least 2 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead; keep chilled. Soften slightly before rolling.).
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan.
- Roll out larger dough piece on lightly floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to pan and press gently over bottom and up sides, pressing any tears together.
- Spread filling in dough.
- Trim dough on sides to 1/2 inch above level of filling.
- Fold dough in over filling.
- Roll out second dough disk on lightly floured surface to 12- to 13-inch round.
- Using bottom of cake pan as aid, cut out 9-inch-diameter round of dough. Slide dough round onto plate and freeze 5 minutes to firm. (Reserve dough scraps for cookies.)
- Place chilled dough round on tart; press to adhere and seal edges.
- Bake tart until crust is brown, about 50 minutes.
- Remove sides of springform pan; cool tart completely on pan bottom. Maintain oven temperature.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough scraps on lightly floured surface to scant 1/4-inch thickness.
- Using 2-inch gingerbread-man cutter, cut out cookies.
- Transfer cutouts to prepared sheets. Repeat, using all of dough.
- Bake cookies until golden, about 8 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets. (Tart and cookies can be made ahead; cover and store at room temperature 1 day or refrigerate up to 3 days.).
- Sift powdered sugar over top of tart.
- Place small dab of preserves on back of 1 cookie; place at top edge of tart; repeat with more cookies, forming border around tart.
- Transfer tart to platter.
- Let stand at room temperature at least 1 hour.
Made this a few days ago and it is already gone! This is fabulous and I am keeping this in the back of my mind for Christmas. I come from a dutch background and it reminded me of something my Oma used to make. The only thing I may change in the future is the spices - I looked at recipes for speculaas spice mix which also include cardamom and white pepper so i may try adding those in next time (as the recipe as stated didn't quite have the right mix). I also decorated with whole blanched almonds on top and added an egg yolk wash over it. Didn't use powdered sugar at all.
Just what I was looking for!! I love almond desserts and this was perfect for me! No trouble to prepare at all and the results were so worth it. Will be making again when I need my almond tart fix! ZWT6