Recipe by PanNan
These are very popular spice cookies in Holland, especially for Sinterklaas (St. Nicholas Day, December 5). The sweet spice flavor is wonderful. The prep time includes refrigerating the dough overnight.
Top Review by Taylor in Belgium
This recipe was great for me, not having to figure out the grams etc! Very simple to make compared to some of the Belgian recipes I have run across..passed it on to a few other interested parties!
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar and milk in a bowl.
- Stir until smooth.
- In another bowl, sift the dry ingredients and blend in the butter until the mixture is like cornmeal.
- Add the sugar and milk mixture and the almonds.
- Mix well.
- Wrap in foil, or wax paper and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll out the dough pretty thin.
- Use Christmas cookie cutters (or a windmill or other shaped cookie cutter if it isn't Christmas).
- Dust the cutter well with flour to be sure it doesn't stick.
- Place on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 10- 12 minutes.
- Remove and cool.