Prep 6 mins
Cook 4 hrs
i love homemade ice cream. I just got an ice cream freezer, and have been trying different recipes. This is one of the best I have found, from a Southern Living Magazine.
- 5 cups milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Heat milk in a 3 quart saucepan over low heat until hot. Combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually add sugar mix to milk, stirring until blended. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually stir about one fourth of hot mixture into beaten eggs; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute; remove from heat, and let cool. Chill at least 2 hours.
- Combine half and half and vanilla in a large bowl; add chilled custard, stirring with a wire whisk. Pour into freezer can of a 1 gallon ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Let ripen in freezer, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Ilove ice cream but not with flour .