Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe makes a very impressive looking, scrumptious dessert for a large crowd. I've make it frequently for family reunions, and it has always gotten rave reviews.
- 3 poundcake (frozen are fine, thaw before using)
- 2 -3 cups strawberry jam (preferably homemade)
- 1 pint orange-flavored liqueur
- 3 pints fresh strawberries, washed,hulled and halved
- 3 packages instant vanilla pudding (4 serving size)
- 6 cups milk
- 2 packages unfilled split ladyfingers
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed and hulled (for garnish)
- You will need a 6 quart trifle bowl or a punch bowl for this.
- Slice 1 pound cake into 3 even layers.
- Generously spread each layer with strawberry jam.
- Arrange layers in the bottom of trifle bowl/punch bowl, cutting the pieces to fit the entire bottom.
- Pour 1/2 cup liqueur over the cake.
- Next, layer 1 pint of halved strawberries over the cake.
- In a bowl, mix vanilla pudding and milk according to package directions.
- Pour 1/3 of the pudding over strawberry layer.
- Spread split lady fingers liberally with strawberry jam.
- Stand the lady fingers around the edge of the bowl, so that 1-2 inches of the lady fingers are above the rim of the bowl.
- Drizzle lady fingers with 1/2 cup of liqueur.
- Repeat the layering procedure two more times, with the remaining pound cakes, strawberry halves, liqueur and vanilla pudding.
- This should fill the bowl to about 1 inch of the top of the lady fingers.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Just before serving, whip cream until almost stiff.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla to cream and whip until stiff.
- Mound whipped cream on top of the trifle, garnish with whole strawberries.