Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This has to be one of the most flavorful coleslaws I have ever made. The flavors blend wonderfully. The addition of olives is a welcome surprise in the flavor. The best part is make ahead. Most slaws I have to wait till time to serve to add the dressing. This gets better overnite, so it is great to make ahead and out the door. Or it is one more dish you can get done the day before company coming, which is what I love. But irregardless of all those perks, it is a dish that I would make even if it was a little bit of a pain. Hope you enjoy it.
- 1 medium head of cabbage, shredded (21/2lbs)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced stuffed olives
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- In a 4 quart bowl, combine the cabbage, onion, peppers and olives.
- In a saucepan, combine remaining ingredients;bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Pour over vegetables and stir gently.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Mix well before serving.
I cut recipe in half and used a 16 oz. bag of slaw I had on hand. Slaw didn't sit overnight as needed for tonight's meal. No stuffed olives, but bought some today in anticipation of my next batch. Didn't have white wine vinegar so used red wine vinegar. Thought the flavor excellent. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!
Delicious for a change! Using 2 - 14oz bags of pre-cut cole slaw and the listed amounts of dressing ingredients is perfect.
This was a hit with me. Loved the olives and the additional color the bell peppers added. A very different cole slaw, but one I know I'll enjoy again. Guests were split on this.....some just preferred a basic slaw. But all the adventurists loved it.