Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
I must admit, I find it really hard to make anything without chilies and garlic, which is probably why I don't make many desserts really. This is a great spicy, savoury mash, and it isn't too bad fat-wise either. Use a flavoured cream cheese or greek yogurt if you prefer
- Roast the red pepper in a hot (220C) oven for approximately 30-minutes until skin is blackened.
- Cool for a few minutes, peel and chop flesh into small dice.
- Meanwhile, chop the sweet potatoes into large chunks and boil with the garlic cloves for approximately 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Heat olive oil in a small pan and fry chili for 3-4 minutes over a low heat. Stir in chopped red pepper.
- Drain sweet potato and garlic and mash with 2 tbsp cream cheese and milk, adding more if needed.
- Stir red pepper, chili and coriander into mash. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
I've never thought of using cream cheese with sweet potatoes before (even though I love them with russets) but it added a wonderful creamy texture. The green chilies combine nicely with the garlic and red pepper. Thanks for a new way to fix sweet potatoes that doesn't require a lot of sugar! Roxygirl
Outstanding! This is creamy and spicy and delicious in every way. The recipe makes two very large servings...which you'll be grateful for. I'll certainly be making this one again. Thanks!
The only change I made to the recipe was to omit the red bell pepper as my husband doesn't care for the taste. Very nice flavor and texture! Thanks for sharing the recipe.