Recipe by SugaredAlmond
I must admit, I find it really hard to make anything without chilies and garlic, which is probably why I don't make many desserts really. This is a great spicy, savoury mash, and it isn't too bad fat-wise either. Use a flavoured cream cheese or greek yogurt if you prefer
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I've never thought of using cream cheese with sweet potatoes before (even though I love them with russets) but it added a wonderful creamy texture. The green chilies combine nicely with the garlic and red pepper. Thanks for a new way to fix sweet potatoes that doesn't require a lot of sugar! Roxygirl
- 400 g sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and deseeded
- 1 green chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -4 tablespoons fat free cream cheese
- 2 -4 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast the red pepper in a hot (220C) oven for approximately 30-minutes until skin is blackened.
- Cool for a few minutes, peel and chop flesh into small dice.
- Meanwhile, chop the sweet potatoes into large chunks and boil with the garlic cloves for approximately 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Heat olive oil in a small pan and fry chili for 3-4 minutes over a low heat. Stir in chopped red pepper.
- Drain sweet potato and garlic and mash with 2 tbsp cream cheese and milk, adding more if needed.
- Stir red pepper, chili and coriander into mash. Add salt and black pepper to taste.