Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This moist cake is speckled with little pieces of chocolate and topped with a rich chocolate ganache.
for the cake
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup flour
for the ganache
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 8" springform pan.
- Line the bottom of the pan with parchment and butter the parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the 1/2 c butter to the sugar mixture. Stir in the chopped chocolate gently.
- Stir in 1/3 of the flour gently.
- Stir in 1/3 of the egg white folding together as lightly as possible.
- Repeat, alternating between the flour and the egg whites.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake cake for 50 minutes.
- Cool cake on a wire rack.
- To prepare gananche, heat the cream until hot but not boiling.
- Pour the crean over the chocolate.
- Stir occasionally while mixture is cooling. When completely cooled, beat with electric mixer until fluffy, 5-10 minutes. Do not overbeat or the mixture will be very stiff and hard to spread.
- Place the cake back into the springform pan and top with the ganache. Wrap and chill until firm.
- Remove from pan and serve.
So elegant and rich! I think I really impressed my husband and our dinner guests!
This is a great recipe!!!