Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is not a regular white clam sauce. Italian cookbook author Marcella Hazan adds butter and Parmesan to this famous clam sauce, a combination rarely used in other Italian clam dishes. The result is sensational!
- 1 (14 ounce) canof chopped clams
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped italian flat leaf parsley, plus more,for serving
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese, plus more,for serving
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- Reserve clam juice and strain it through a fine sieve.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the shallots.
- Place over moderate heat and saute, stirring frequently, until the shallots are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon of the red pepper flakes and saute for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Cook until reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved clam juice and boil over moderate heat until reduced by about one-third, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Taste and add 1/4 teaspoon more red pepper flakes, if you like.
- Reduce the heat to low, stir in the clams, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in 1/4 cup of the parsley and 1/4 cup of the grated Parmesan.
- Stir in the butter until it melts.
- Pour sauce over cooked linguine and toss.
- Sprinkle with additional parsley and Parmesan cheese and serve right away.
I followed the recipe as writtenâ€¦ Perfect!!! I served it over Â½ lb of linguine with a little freshly grated parmesan and parsley on top. Perfect for DH and I. Over the top good!
This recipe is the ultimate clam sauce. I do omit the butter, but other than that I make the recipe as written. This truly is a restaurant quality (or, I think better) meal. Thank you Grace Lynn for sharing the recipe.
I keep forgetting to rate this recipe. I put it back in my folder,because I'm afraid I'll loose it. This is one of our favorite clam sauce recipes!!! Thanks for posting this GREAT recipe for lovers of White Clam Sauce. :-)