Prep 3 mins
Cook 7 mins
I love sweet and sour red cabbage and was missing the flavor while on my current diet plan. This is a quick recipe I came up with while following Dr.Simeons HCG Protocol. This is completely "legal" on VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) for those following protocol. Adjust spices according to your taste preferences. **Note - I use Sweetleaf Stevia powder in the shaker - Stevia is much sweeter than sugar so sprinkle lightly and adjust to taste as with other spices. Goes great with a burger (4% Laura's is terrific) on the foreman grill.
- 473.18 ml red cabbage, rough chopped (or large shreds)
- 59.14-78.07 ml apple cider vinegar (depends on amount of sauce you want)
- 4.92 ml cinnamon, to taste
- 1.23 ml stevia, less to taste (stevia is much sweeter than sugar)
- 1.23-2.46 ml dry mustard, to taste
- 2.46-4.92 ml garlic powder, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add cabbage and stir for 1 minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients and cover.
- Stir periodically cooking about 6-8 minutes until crisp-tender.
I'm on the HCG diet and I was growing tired of cabbage until I found this recipe. I didn't have dry mustard handy, but the cabbage tasted great just the same.
Wow. this is so tasty. I've been making sweet and sour cabbage on vlcd phase of hcg diet but getting tired of the recipe I was using. This is FAR superior. I wanted to lick my plate. Thank you for sharing with those of us who need the inspiration.
I had to triple the powdered stevia and cook it around 20 min.s or longer ( I like my sweet cabbage soft) to suit my taste but have to say the seasonings were incredible! I have been craving sweet cabbage for a while and don't miss the sugar at all! You really came up with a great recipe! I paired it with 3oz(s) of walleye that I'd marinated in lemon and dill. Just sprinkled salt and pepper on it, baked at 350 and wallah!...had an amazing meal! Thanks so much for this recipe!!!