I love sweet and sour red cabbage and was missing the flavor while on my current diet plan. This is a quick recipe I came up with while following Dr.Simeons HCG Protocol. This is completely "legal" on VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) for those following protocol. Adjust spices according to your taste preferences. **Note - I use Sweetleaf Stevia powder in the shaker - Stevia is much sweeter than sugar so sprinkle lightly and adjust to taste as with other spices. Goes great with a burger (4% Laura's is terrific) on the foreman grill.
- 2 cups red cabbage, rough chopped (or large shreds)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar (depends on amount of sauce you want)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon stevia, less to taste (stevia is much sweeter than sugar)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard, to taste
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add cabbage and stir for 1 minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients and cover.
- Stir periodically cooking about 6-8 minutes until crisp-tender.