These cupcakes are light, refreshing, pretty and not-to-mention delicious. They are frosted with a whipped combination of strawberry frosting and cool whip, which makes a light frosting that doesn't taste cloyingly sweet or store-bought. They are also stuffed with strawberry frosting and fresh chopped strawberries. To make them extra pretty, garnish each cupcake with sliced strawberries and the serving plate with large, fanned strawberries. I made these for my daughter's 2nd birthday party. All our guests enjoyed them including the guest of honor, who said "mmm" the entire time.
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix (Pillsbury Moist Supreme)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 (16 ounce) jars strawberry frosting (Pillsbury Creamy Supreme)
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 quart strawberry (reserve 3-4 largest, slice most of them & finely chop 2-3 small ones to measure 1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place cupcake liners in muffin pan cups.
- Cupcakes: Prepare cake batter as directed on back of cake mix box. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool for one hour. With an apple corer or melon baller, scoop out the center of each cupcake, discarding the cake scraps--or snack on if desired. :)
- Frosting: In a large mixing bowl, whip together strawberry frosting and cool whip with an electric mixer until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl to thoroughly combine.
- Stuffing: In a medium mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the frosting mixture and 1/4 cup of finely chopped strawberries. Place the mixture into a piping bag with the largest circular tip or simply snip the end of the bag. Pipe into the center hole of each cupcake.
- Per your preference, either pipe or spread the frosting generously atop each cupcake. Garnish each cupcake with sliced strawberries. Reserve 3-4 of the largest strawberries to fan and garnish the serving platter.
- Refrigerate cupcakes until ready to serve.