Recipe by Mille®
This is a more modern Scottish recipe. Makes a nice change from mashed potatoes and is a great accompaniment to most beef, pork, or lamb dishes
Top Review by Gay Gilmore
This was my first time making rutabagas. Turns out I love them. I misread the recipe and didn't chop the apples as finely as I should, they were a bit chunky, but it didn't matter because this tasted great!
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 ounce bacon drippings or 1 ounce butter
- 2 sweet apples, cored and chopped
- nutmeg (to garnish)
- Boil the swede until tender (about 20 minutes) and drain.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion in the oil and after 2 minutes add the drippings and apples.
- Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Mash the swede and add to the pan.
- Season and stir well.
- Sprinkle a little grated nutmeg on top and serve.
- For the Vegetarian option please use butter.