Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A vegetarian version-just by substituting tempeh bacon for regular bacon. But standard bacon is equally good. I save my special reserve secret stash of peanut butter (Peter Pan of course!) for this recipe! Slightly adapted from Quick and Simple magazine, August 2006.
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 6 slices tempeh bacon (crisply cooked and drained) or 6 slices regular bacon (crisply cooked and drained)
- 8 slices whole wheat bread (toasted or untoasted-or any similar bread)
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 slices red onions (my addition)
- Spread the peanut butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Divide and arrange the bacon on half of the bread slices.
- Immediately after slicing the apples, toss them with the lemon juice. Arrange the apple slices on top of the bacon.
- Arrange the red onion slices on top of the apple slices. Cover with the remaining bread slices and cut in half or quarters.
- For Vegetarian use a Vegetarian bacon. For Vegan use a Vegan bacon.
Adding red onion to this sandwich was inspired - I don't know how you came up with it but it really makes the sandwich. We've had it several times since finding your recipe, and have used a variety of apple types, our favorite being Fuji, and have always skipped the lemon juice. For a special treat DD gets this in her lunchbox, along with a breath mint, of course! :-)