Recipe by COOKGIRl
A vegetarian version-just by substituting tempeh bacon for regular bacon. But standard bacon is equally good. I save my special reserve secret stash of peanut butter (Peter Pan of course!) for this recipe! Slightly adapted from Quick and Simple magazine, August 2006.
Top Review by Linorama
Adding red onion to this sandwich was inspired - I don't know how you came up with it but it really makes the sandwich. We've had it several times since finding your recipe, and have used a variety of apple types, our favorite being Fuji, and have always skipped the lemon juice. For a special treat DD gets this in her lunchbox, along with a breath mint, of course! :-)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 6 slices tempeh bacon (crisply cooked and drained) or 6 slices regular bacon (crisply cooked and drained)
- 8 slices whole wheat bread (toasted or untoasted-or any similar bread)
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 slices red onions (my addition)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread the peanut butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Divide and arrange the bacon on half of the bread slices.
- Immediately after slicing the apples, toss them with the lemon juice. Arrange the apple slices on top of the bacon.
- Arrange the red onion slices on top of the apple slices. Cover with the remaining bread slices and cut in half or quarters.
- For Vegetarian use a Vegetarian bacon. For Vegan use a Vegan bacon.