Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Good for the holidays. A little different from other onion puddings.
Make and share this Special Onion Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 7 medium vidalia onions or 7 medium other sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup blanched slivered almond
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, cream, and Parmesan.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cayenne, chipotle, and granulated garlic, stirring or whisking until well incorporated.
- Combine, stirring well, the flour mixture into the egg mixture; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the butter and oil; add the thinly sliced onions and cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh garlic and drained water chestnuts and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Combine the onion mixture and the egg mixture and stir well.
- Spoon into the greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds and bake until the pudding sets, 30 to 35 minutes.