Recipe by Derf
Main dish lushious onion pie, serve with a nice crisp salad. Or cut 8 pieces for a side dish with a roast and boiled buttered carrots and celery
Top Review by Deborah1
My DH thought it was "Wonderful", a 5. I thought it was okay, a 3. So we compromised on a 4. I had only six medium onions, but that was way more than enough. If I had used 10, I would never have been able to get them in the crust, and yes, I cooked them down until all the moisture was evaporated and I used a 9-inch deep dish crust. I also substituted 6 half slices of bacon placed on top like spokes on a wheel. I just thought it was a little heavy and bland. I will definitely try again. I will use the 10 onions you called for, cook them down as I did this time, but then add a splash of sherry and continue to cook until carmelized. I love the sherry and onion combo-you can't go wrong with it. I would also add finely chopped and cooked bacon to the mixture, instead of placing on top. Just to add that depth of flavor throughout. I would not change the recipe's proportions, I would just make as 2 pies instead of one.
- 9 inches uncooked pie shells, , chilled
- 10 medium Spanish onions or 10 medium bermuda onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- 6 slices Canadian bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in frypan.
- Add the onions.
- Stir and cook over low heat until they are clear.
- Cool the onions well.
- In a sauce pan, combine and heat slowly until blended.
- 3 eggs,sour cream,sherry,salt and pepper, parsley and celery seed.
- Stir the mixture into the onions.
- Brush the bottom of the pie shell with the egg white.
- Pour the onion mixture into the pie shell.
- Place the bacon pieces evenly over the top of the onions.
- Start the pie in a hot preheated oven, 450 degrees, bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 300 degrees and bake a further 30 minutes or until the bacon is crisp and the pastry edges are light brown.
- Serve very hot.