1/1 Photo of Special Occasion Pumpkin Roll Aka Hazel's Pumpkin Cake Roll
4 hrs 30 mins
This is from Jean Hoare's cookbook. She is the original owner of the famous Flying Hen Restaurant outside Calgary, Alberta. And this is an excellent cake that is easy to make, it has replaced the traditional pumpkin pie in our house. My son's girlfriend could eat a whole cake herself (at least she claims she could), she once did try. Cooking time=cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease and flour a jelly roll pan, about 10"X15".
- 2Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
- 3In a fairly large bowl, beat the eggs for 5 minutes or until very thick. Gradually add the sugar, beating all the while. Stir in the pumpkin and lemon juice. Finally, fold in the prepared dry ingredients.
- 4Spread in the prepared pan and sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the top of the batter. Bake about 15 minutes at 375F (190C) or until the cake springs back when touched. Spread a teatowel with icing sugar and turn the hot jelly roll out onto the towel - carefully - nut side down. Roll the cake up in the towel (the roll should be made from the short side) and allow to cool.
- 5Make cream chees filling (see below). Carefully unroll the cake and spread with filling. Reroll and chill well (4-5 hours) before serving. This can be topped with whipped cream or icecream (vanilla, coffee or pumpkin is the best).
- 6Cream Cheese Filling:.
- 7Beat together really well, 3/4 cup room temperature cream cheese and 4 tablespoons butter. Add slowly 1 cup icing sugar, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Spread this on the roll and reroll the cake. Chill well 4-5 hours.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Special Occasion Pumpkin Roll Aka Hazel's Pumpkin Cake Roll
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.6
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 61.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 17.1 g
- Protein 3.9 g