Recipe by Courtly
"Topped with a fluffy frosting and chocolate sprinkles, these extra rich, extra delicious cupcakes smell wonderful while baking and taste even better!" Submitted to Taste of Home by Mary Bilyeu. It won first place in a cupcake contest!
Top Review by Karamia
I made these for my family for Easter and they turned out beautiful! I actually only used about 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract because I ran out of it, but it still tasted great. The cake part was not too rich, but the frosting was very rich and delicious. It had a very mild coffee flavor. Thanks Courtly!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate sprinkles
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, mix the eggs, coffee, oil, vinegar and vanilla.
- Add to dry ingerdients; mix well.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- For frosting, in a small microwave-safe bowl, melt chips; stir until smooth.
- Add butter; beat until blended.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and coffee.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
- Top with sprinkles; gently press down.