I know there are a lot of Mexican/Taco/Soup/Stew recipes out there but I hope you'll try this one! .
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth, canned
- 1⁄4 cup canned green chili
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can hominy, drained (or frozen corn kernels)
- 4 whole canned tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded cooked skinless chicken breast (about 4 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, juice of
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, garlic, chili powder, and cumin, and cook until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat slightly, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the green chiles, hominy, tomatoes, and oregano and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pull the saucepan from the heat and stir in the chicken, cilantro leaves, and lime juice.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.