Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great meal for busy moms. Kid favorite mac and cheese, with ham and peas made on a large scale. Make up one batch and freeze one or two dishes for meals later. Add salad and bread and you have a complete meal. Great for freezing to save time in the kitchen.
- 1 lb macaroni
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen peas
- 3 cups ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 cup crouton, crushed
- Boil macaroni in water with 1 Tbsp oil in very large pot until tender.
- Add frozen peas for last minute of boiling time.
- Drain and keep warm.
- While macaroni is boiling, melt butter in medium sized bowl in microwave.
- Add flour to butter and stir until most of lumps are gone.
- Add milk all at once and stir to get butter paste incorporated.
- Microwave on high 8 to 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- After first 2 minutes add cream cheese.
- Continue to stir every 2 minutes until cream cheese is melted in and sauce becomes thick.
- Add 1-1/2 cups cheese and stir until melted.
- Mix in salt, pepper, garlic salt and ground mustard.
- Add to macaroni mixture and stir until sauce is mixed well.
- Pour into a 9x13-inch casserole.
- You will probably have enough to fill it and then some. I use two or three 8x8-inch squares.
- Top with additional cheese and crushed croutons, bake 30 minutes at 350°F.
- If freezing, leave out last step until ready to bake.
This was delicious. Love the additions of ham and peas. The method didn't say what to do with the ham, but I assumed it went in with everything else, so I mixed it in along with the peas. Also loved the crunchy crouton topping, great idea. This might be my new favourite Mac and Cheese!
Great macaroni and cheese! This is very similar to the way I normally make it, but with some significant differences - the cream cheese adds just the right touch of added creaminess, and the extra cheese and crunchiness on top are a great addition. I didn't have croutons, used crushed Ritz crackers instead and they were great. Thanks for sharing!
This smells really good can't wait for it to get out of the oven. I cooked my white sauce on the stove and had no problem with adding the milk all at once. I do have to agree, that it could use more cheese flavor. I think doubling it as appleydapply said would work out nicely. Made for Zaar Tag 2007 game