Great meal for busy moms. Kid favorite mac and cheese, with ham and peas made on a large scale. Make up one batch and freeze one or two dishes for meals later. Add salad and bread and you have a complete meal. Great for freezing to save time in the kitchen.
- Boil macaroni in water with 1 Tbsp oil in very large pot until tender.
- Add frozen peas for last minute of boiling time.
- Drain and keep warm.
- While macaroni is boiling, melt butter in medium sized bowl in microwave.
- Add flour to butter and stir until most of lumps are gone.
- Add milk all at once and stir to get butter paste incorporated.
- Microwave on high 8 to 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- After first 2 minutes add cream cheese.
- Continue to stir every 2 minutes until cream cheese is melted in and sauce becomes thick.
- Add 1-1/2 cups cheese and stir until melted.
- Mix in salt, pepper, garlic salt and ground mustard.
- Add to macaroni mixture and stir until sauce is mixed well.
- Pour into a 9x13-inch casserole.
- You will probably have enough to fill it and then some. I use two or three 8x8-inch squares.
- Top with additional cheese and crushed croutons, bake 30 minutes at 350°F.
- If freezing, leave out last step until ready to bake.