Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A vegetarian mock meatloaf, this is the version from the SDA cookbook ‘An Apple A Day’. I will be updating this recipe when I figure out standard substitutions for the more specific products used (McKay’s Chicken Seasoning and George Washington Broth).
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup pecans, ground
- 3 teaspoons chicken-flavored vegetarian seasoning (McKay's)
- 1 (1 ounce) package George Washington broth
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 quart cottage cheese
- 4 cups Special K cereal
- 13 ounces Worthington FriChik, diced
- Saute onion, pecans, chicken seasoning and broth powder in butter.
- Beat eggs and milk together and combine diced soymeat and remaining ingredients.
- Bake in a well greased large flat pan in a 350 degree oven for 1-1½ hours (top will be dark brown when finished baking).
I have this cookbook but have never tried this exact recipe. I have a similar recipe that has been passed down in my family. It uses chopped walnuts instead pecans and doesn't use the Fri-Chick. I have had people eat this "meat loaf" at my house and argue with me that it was meat, not a vegetarian dish. It is really good.