Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
fast and easy, crispy and crunchy, has a nice simple flavour...this has been our family favourite for 20 years....these are made with the regular first type of cereal. I have made these with all the other special K cereals with larger flakes and they just arent the same in texture or taste.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil (this is my fav. oil to use)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cups Special K cereal
- 1 cup sliced almonds (toasted is always nice) or 1 cup slivered almonds (toasted is always nice)
- Combine the eggs and sugar in a mixer until fluffy.
- Add in the oil, beating well.
- Add in all the dry ingredients, combine well.
- Fold in all the cereal and nuts, combining with clean hands.
- Spread onto parchment lined cookie sheet into logs and flatten the tops slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and bake 15 minutes.
- Turn oven off and leave in for another 15 minutes.
- Remove then from oven, onto a wire rack and cool 10 minutes.
- Reset oven to 325°F.
- Cut into slices with serrated knife and place back onto parchment lined sheets cut side down.
- Bake 7 minutes.
- Turn each slice over.
- Bake another 9 minutes.
- Until golden and toasty.
I bought a variety pack of Special K at Costco that contained one with chocolate bits that we didn't like as cereal. I used it in this recipe and it was very good. May try it with the strawberry version next.
Great flavour and texture! I substituted the almond extract with coconut extract and used shredded coconut and chocolate chips instead of the almonds (my family is coconut crazy!)and omitted the salt. The dough is very sticky in step 4- I wet my hands slightly and it was much more managable. I put them right on a non stick tray rather than use parchment paper (ran out!) and they were fine. A little bit of work but well worth it! I will definitely make them again!
MMMM. I love the flavor of this biscotti recipe. I had to omit the almonds (thought I had some, but I was wrong! Subbed in more Special K), but the almond extract really came through. They're lovely. I also used half splenda, half sugar. ..And made two wide logs. Thanks for a great recipe!