Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe started out as a way to avoid eating my school's special k bars. I didn't like the way they tasted. With this recipe you can add as much or as little chocolate as you like. This recipes has a perfect amount of chocolate and peanut buttery-ness to make it almost seem to melt in your mouth.
Peanut Butter Mixture
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 236.59 ml white corn syrup
- 354.88 ml creamy peanut butter
- 1419.54 ml Special K cereal
- 453.59 g bagof real semi- sweet chocolate chips
- 226.79 g bag butterscotch chips
- Combine corn syrup, sugar and peanut butter in a large pot until mixture is a liquid. Add Special K to the pot. Coat Special K in the pot until everything looks evenly coated. Remove from heat and place in a greased 9x13 pan. Level bars. In a microwavable bowl add chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Microwave for a minute and a half. Take out and stir. Keep microwaving until chocolate is smooth. Pour over bars and spread chocolate to desired thickness. Refrigerate until chocolate is hard or set out overnight.
I have made these many times and they are some of our family's favorites! I use 1 bag of both chocolate chips and butterscotch chips, and also add a tsp of vanilla when adding peanut butter!
This is the closest version of the recipe I use that I could find on this site. The only change is that I use 1 cup of milk chocolate chips and 1 cup of butterscotch chips as I don't like the chocolate topping too thick. My family's FAVORITE treat since the 70's!