Recipe by gailanng
Don't eliminate the orange and lemon zest. That's what make these extra special. Dough is freezable. I've used this recipe every year for the last 30 years...tried and true! (Note: For the first time this year, I substituted pure dark cane syrup for the molasses in one batch and many liked the milder flavor even better.)
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Stir together flour, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer about 30 seconds; add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat on low until combined. To this, add the eggs, orange and lemon zest, beating on low to mix.
- Add flour mixture; stir with a spoon until combined.
- Divide dough into 4 portions; wrap each and chill about 1 hour.
- Grease cookie sheet. Roll out one portion of dough on a lightly floured surface approximately 1/4" thick. Best if not rolled thicker. (Tip: To keep things clean, roll the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap. Use immediately, refrigerate or place in freezer for future use. If frozen, defrost overnight in refrigerator. Keep refrigerated until ready to cut).
- Cut cookies to desired shapes and arrange 1 1/2" apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake about 7 - 10 minutes or until edges are firm and light brown. Transfer to wire rack.