The recipe doesn't designate a cooking time so I'm guessing. However, cooking time aside, this sounds scrumptious! I'll be making it very soon.
- The Pan:.
- Large oven dish, must be at least 6 inches deep.
- If not this deep, make sure it is large around. I'd say minimum 4" deep.
- A large disposable foil casserole pan should work fine.
- Peel (or not) and slice potatoes to no thicker than a dime (2-3mm).
- Layer the bottom of your oven dish with 2-3 layers of potatoes.
- Cover potatoes with a thick layer of grated cheese.
- Crush one clove of garlic over the top of the cheese, spreading out evenly.
- NOTE: If you know how much cheese and garlic you WILL use, just crush the garlic and mix it with the cheese to make spreading easier.
- Continue to do this 3-4 times depending on how deep your oven dish is.
- End up with a cheese and garlic layer to finish, not potatoes.
- Mix milk and egg together and pour over the top of the cheese.
- Bake at 180º C (350º F)until potatoes are soft and cheese topping is browned off
- Cooking time will vary depending on number of layers and thickness of potato slices.
- VARIATION: adding meat of your choice to this with the cheese/garlic layer, would make this a great main dish.
- If other ingredients are added, you may have to double the egg/milk mixture, and adjust the cooking time.
The best potato casserole I've ever had. I covered the dish for the first 25 minutes of cooking so the cheese doesn't burn and I baked it uncovered 20 more minutes. The cheese layer created a wonderful crunchy crust with creamy potatoes underneath. 5 stars! Thank you.
The aroma of this dish while baking was almost unbearable. LoL! I think I will cut back just a bit on the garlic next time. Even though we LOVE garlic, it was just a little too much. :)