Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
Fried rice is so delicious, colorful, versatile, and kid-friendly. It really makes a difference separating/cooling the rice. These make a filling meal with my Scallion Tortilla Wrappers.
Top Review by dallasdiva
So delicious! I used brown rice which doesn't stick together at all. Didn't have green pepper, so I subbed a zucchini squash. Added 1 1/2 blocks tofu which I browned first and then incorporated at the end. Next time I would decrease the tamari a little bit. [I thought it was a teeny bit too salty, hubby thought it needed salt. That is ALWAYS the case with us!] Thai basil and cilantro would be great additions too. Stir fried some mung bean spouts with a little sesame oil and topped the rice with it for a nice presentation and a bit of crunch. "Yummo" as RR would say! Hubby wants me to make some for his lunches so I'd call it a big hit.
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice (I used Uncle Ben's)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons wok oil, 3 turns of the pan
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 small red bell peppers or 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄3 cup tamari (dark aged soy sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add rice, reduce heat, cover and cook over medium low heat until tender, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Spread rice out on a cookie sheet to quick cool it.
- (If you have leftover rice you can really speed this dish up).
- Heat a wok, wok shaped skillet or large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add oil to the pan.
- Add egg to hot oil and break into small bits as it scrambles.
- When eggs are scrambled, add garlic and ginger to the pan.
- (If you happen to be out of ginger like I was once, you can add some terriyaki sauce).
- Add carrots, pepper, scallions to the pan and quick stir-fry veggies 2 minutes.
- Add rice to the pan and combine with veggies.
- Fry rice with veggies 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add peas and soy sauce to the rice and stir fry 1 minute more, then serve.