Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Yummy rice with an extra crunch.
Make and share this Special Fried Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup peeled cooked shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 pinch caster sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped roasted cashew nuts (to garnish)
- Rinse the rice in two to three changes of warm water to wash away some of the starch. Drain well.
- Put the rice in a saucepan and add 1 tbsp of the oil and 350 ml water. Cover and bring to a boil, stir once, then cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until nearly all the water has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave, covered, to stand for 10 minutes. Fluff up with a fork and leave to cool.
- Heat the remaining oil in a wok, add the garlic and spring onions and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken, shrimps and peas and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, then add the cooked rice and stir-fry for further 2 minutes. Pour in the egg and stir-fry until just set. Stir in the lettuce, soy sauce, sugar and seasoning. Transfer to a warmed serving bowl, sprinkle with the chopped cashew nuts and serve immediately.
I had this for an early dinner today but I kinda cheated and used left over rice. I didnt think I would like the addition of lettuce but I did in the end. A great and diffrent fried rice recipe I plan on playing around with some more with diffrent veggies and meat combos. Very good! Made for PAC 07!