Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I originally got this recipe from "Barefoot Contessa" on Food Network. I wrote down all the ingredients as I was watching and made them to take to a family gathering. They were a huge hit, even with the people who don't normally like Lemon Bars. When I finally got the official recipe from "The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook," Copyright 1999, I realized I hadn't made them exactly like they were supposed to be made. However, they're so well loved by my family now, I just keep making them my way.
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and gather into a ball.
- Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into a 9 x 13 x 2" baking sheet, building up a 1/2" edge on all sides.
- Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned.
- Let cool on a wire rack, leaving the oven on.
- For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and flour, and pour into the crust.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes more, until the filling is set.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Cut into triangles and dust with confectioners' sugar.
If you like a thick lemony curd in your lemon bar this one is for you! First I did make the most popular lemon bar on the site, and same as alot of people I had trouble getting the crust out of the pan. This crust came out with no trouble, maybe it's this recipe calls for regular sugar and not powdered? I also put the added zest of 4 lemons. These are truly going to be my go to lemon bars! Thanks for posting! :)
Super thick, sweet and tangy lemon layer makes this a really special bar for any day.
I Googled the missing ingredient and found out it was 2 Tablespoons of lemon zest (4-6 lemons). It makes it all the more lemony. Leave it to the Barefoot Contessa to increase the standard filling by 50%.