Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
School started in Texas this week and that always gets me thinking about the holidays. This dish can easily be prepared the night before and popped in the oven for a hearty Thanksgiving(my favorite holiday) or Christmas breakfast for family and friends. This is another find from about.com a great source for Southern cuisine.
- 1 (30 ounce) bag frozen hash browns, thawed
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces Canadian bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 12 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Spread thawed hashbrowns in a deep 11x14 lasagna or roasting pan;season generously.
- with salt and pepper.Sprinkle half of the.
- cheese over the potato layer.
- In a large skillet,lightly brown the Canadian.
- bacon slices in 2 tablespoonsful of butter;set aside.In the same skillet saute the onion,peppers and mushrooms until tender.
- add the additional butter if needed.
- Spoon vegetables over the cheese layer.Top with sliced tomatoes.Arrange slices of Canadian bacon over the veggies.Top with remaining cheese.
- In a medium bowl,whisk eggs with 1/2 teaspoon.
- salt,1/4 teaspoon black pepper and the milk;.
- pour over the casserole.Press the mixture.
- gently down to make sure everything is covered with the eggs.Let stand at least 15.
- minutes before baking or overnight.Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.