Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
An extra-special banana bread.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add bananas and vanilla; mix wel. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture. Fold in 1 cup of pecans.
- Transfer to two greased 8 x 4 x 2 inch loaf pans. Sprinkle with the remaining pecans. Bake at 350 for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, whisk the glaze ingredients; drizzle over loaves. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Very Tasty! I used walnuts, instead of pecans, due to personal preference. Will be making again.
If you've been looking for perfection, look no more! This has replaced all other banana nut bread recipes in my file. I just made a batch for Thanksgiving, and oh my, they are yummy!!! Normally I don't change a thing, but thistime the batter seemed a little dense so I added a bit of applesauce - maybe about a 1/4 cup til it became less dense. I also added one of those little pudding cups - banana flavored. Instead of vanilla extract, I used a 1/4 t of orange extract, 1/4 t of almond extract, and 1/2 t of rum extract. The critics came back saying this is the best I've ever made, and I make this often. If you use the little mini loaf pans, cooking time is only about 50 mins. One last tip, I toss bananas in the freezer when they start to turn, and then pull them out when I need to make bread. Just toss them in there with the peel, but know that they will turn black. It doesn't affect the flavor at all. I hope everyone tries this. It is soooo good and just like the name says, it's special.
This was in Taste of Home Oct/Nov 2007. It is fabulous, and would make a great gift baked in the small loaves pan. This bread was moist, yet dense... kinda cakelike. Great flavor-just enough banana flavor. Great with or without the glaze. I made one regular size loaf and one pan of 8 mini loaves. I found it easy to make also.