lovestocook #6's Note:
Don't let the funny name fool you. This is by far the best turkey I have ever made. and it only takes ONE hour to cook! I got this from Serious Eats.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You will need about a handful each of fresh Rosemary, Sage and Thyme;half for the brine and half for the herb butter.
- 2Remove the backbone of the turkey using kitchen shears.
- 3(I had the butcher at the grocery store do this for me).
- 4Make the brine by adding all necessary ingredients, You do not need to chop the herbs. Just dump everything in the pot.
- 5Bring brine to a boil and remove from heat.
- 6Add the ice cubes and let the brine cool for about 30 minutes. DO NOT ADD MORE ICE! You do not want to dilute the brine.
- 7Place the turkey in a large container (I used kitchen size trash bags, doubled) and add the brine.
- 8Place this in the refrigerator overnight, turning once if the bird is not completely submerged in the brine.
- 9When it is time to cook the turkey, remove it from the brine and rinse well. Pat dry.
- 10.Combine the rest of the herbs and chop or pulse in a food processor.
- 11Add the herbs to the butter and mix well.
- 12Place the turkey, breast side up, on the counter and press REALLY hard till you hear the ribs crack. Tuck the wing tips under the bird. Loosen the skin on the breast, thighs and legs.
- 13Rub the butter mixture under the skin.
- 14Place the turkey in a roasting pan large enough to hold the bird and its juices.
- 15. Brush with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- 16Cook the turkey at 450 degrees for 20. Brush with oil again and reduce the oven temperature to 400. Cook 40 minutes longer. Allow the turkey to rest for at least 10-15 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spatchcocked Turkey (Aka Butterflied)
Serving Size: 1 (989 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1365.0
- Calories from Fat 716
- Total Fat 79.6 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 493.5 mg
- Sodium 14709.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 139.2 g