1/5 Photos of Spatchcocked Crispy Happy Chicken With Rich Orange Sauce
1 hr 15 mins
Tigerduck set the ingredients nicely to Celebrate Chinese New Year beginning February 18 is called the Spring Festival! Year of the Pig! Chicken symbolizes happiness and prosperity--especially when served whole, serving it with an orange sauce because oranges represent wealth and good fortune they are China's most plentiful fruit. You can serve over rice or Longevity Noodles (which represent a long life an old superstition says that it's bad luck to cut them so leave them whole) to help absorb the sauce. This recipes integrates Asian (orange sauce), then a cooking Technique from Italy (an old method from Tuscany, what they call pollo al mattone), And a Tex-Mex (addition from the spicy smoky rub) a fusion to create this innovation of explosive new tastes and textures. Yes, bricks for the weight which will flatten the chicken resulting in a very crispy skin and a tender bird. Butterfly - Set the chicken on a board breast side down. With heavy kitchen scissors, cut along either side of the backbone, beginning at the tail end and cutting up. With one hand on each side of the chicken, open it forcefully, bending it back so the breastbone pulls away from the flesh on one side. With your hands, pull out the diamond-shaped purple bone in the center of the breast. If you don't have a pan large enough to hold the bird flat in 1 piece cut with the shears, along the center of the breast to halve the bird so to fit in 2 pans. ------
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Chicken Under A Brick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (3 lb) chicken (Butterflied See note above, discard any lumps of fat,wash and towel dry, loosen the skin from the fl)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper (20 turns of)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon gingerroot, minced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup water
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- orange slice
- 2Mix salt, pepper, garlic, chili powder, thyme, fennel and cumin.
- 3Rub chicken under skin and all over the chicken with all of the spice mixture; cover and marinade in refrigerator for 4-24 hours.
- 4Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 5Heat heavy large cast iron pan over medium high heat, add oil, placing chicken skin side down immediately place a very heavy pan or foil covered bricks on chicken and cook (without moving the chicken) until the skin is a golden brown (check with a tongs) till very crisp about 15 minutes.
- 6Orange Sauce:.
- 7Meanwhile melt butter in a medium hot pan; add and saute onions for 3 minutes add garlic, ginger, brown sugar, water, orange juice and zest, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce; bring to a boil simmer for 5 minutes.
- 8Mix together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water or Grand Mariner making a slurry; add the slurry to the sauce whisking all the time to keep the sauce smooth; reduce heat to medium low; and simmer, about 5 minutes.
- 9Remove the bricks and turn chicken skin side up and finish roasting for 20-25 minutes. Until a thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 160-165 degrees when juices run completely clear, and the skin should be a gorgeous golden-brown, and exceedingly crispy.
- 10Remove chicken and let rest on a cutting board.
- 11De fat the pan drippings.
- 12Add the Orange Sauce to the pan juices. Strain the sauce.
- 13Pour sauce into a gravy boat drizzle some on a platter and place the chicken on the sauce with crispy crust up.
- 14Serving immediately with additional sauce and Longevity noodles or rice.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spatchcocked Crispy Happy Chicken With Rich Orange Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.0
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 162.8 mg
- Sodium 1253.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 41.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: