1/2 Photos of Sparkling Ginger Cookies
2 hrs 20 mins
From an advertisement handout I found a gem of a ginger cookie recipe. The original recipe calls for "Sugar in the Raw" or a very coarse granulated sugar but I've used fine sugar and colored coarse sugars and they both worked well. There is 1-2 hours needed to chill the dough so allow extra time for preparation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
Topping or Rolling
- 1/3-1/2 cup coarse sugar (or coarse colored sugars)
- 1Combine flour, baking soda, salt, giner, cinnamon and cloves in a medium bowl and set aside.
- 2Beat butter and the 1 cup of sugar in a large bowl with mixer at medium high speed until well mixed.
- 3Beat in egg and corn syrup until smooth.
- 4Stir in flour mixture.
- 5CHILL dough 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 6Preheat oven to 350F.
- 7Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in the extra 1/3-1/2 cup sugar.
- 8Place dough balls about 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet.
- 9Bake for 9-11 minutes or just until golden around edges.
- 10Cool on wire racks before storing in an air tight container.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sparkling Ginger Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (16 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 64.1
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 9.4 mg
- Sodium 49.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 0.7 g