Recipe by twissis
There are a couple of other sparkling cranberry punch recipes here on zarr, but nothing at all like this one from *River Road Recipes* originally published by the Junior League of Baton Rouge in 1959. By 1980 the combined sales of RRR & RRR II (A 2nd Helping) had earned $1,000,000 for their community trust fund. I thought that was pretty awesome! I modified the recipe slightly to include 1/4 cup additional water + 1/4 cup dried cranberries. (Time has been estimated & does not include time to cool & then be well-chilled under refrigeration). *Enjoy*
Top Review by Axe
This recipe definitely gets points for creativity and uniqueness. My daughter gives it 2 thumbs up and we all really enjoyed it. My only suggestion is that the next time we make it, we will tweak it a bit to make it more 'fizzy'. Thanks for posting!
- 1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce (Ocean Spray)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups ginger ale
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced, & clove-studded with (optional)
- clove (optional)
- fresh mint leaves (opt garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Empty can of jellied cranberry sauce into a 2-qt saucepan. Over med-heat setting, add water & beat w/an immersion blender or hand-held mixer till sauce is melted.
- Add sugar & cont cooking till sugar is dissolved, stirring as needed. Add dried cranberries & set mixture aside to cool. Then refrigerate till well-chilled.
- When chilled, add lemon juice, extract & 1 cup of ginger ale.
- Just before serving, add remaining 1/2 cup ginger ale & serve in frosted glasses. Garnish w/mint &/or clove-studded lemon slices as desired.