Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
borrowed and reposted from 101 cookbooks for safekeeping, these look very tasty. i betcha you could do this with blueberries for a summer treat too. cooking time is cooling/drying time
- 2 cups cranberries, washed and picked over
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- coarse sugar, for coating
- granulated sugar, for coating
- mix water and sugar in a saucepan and simmer until sugar dissolves to make a simple syrup.
- let the syrup cook a bit so it wont burst your cranberries, should be warm-hot, not so hot you can't touch it. pour over cranberries, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- drain and toss in coarse sugar. work in small batches to avoid the sugar getting too damp. lay cranberries out on a cookie sheet to dry for a few hours.
- toss in the regular sugar to take care of any damp spots.
- serve on a cheese spread, in a bowl next to the christmas cookies, or on top of custards and puddings.
These were fantastic. I made them with blueberries as spiritussancto's note suggested because my daughter and I had just picked some. I had some blueberries on a fruit tray once and thought they had just sprinkled some sugar on them because they were so sweet and good, now I realize they did this to them! I didn't do a picture because we had 'raw' course sugar and visually they didn't look the greatest with the brown coloring of the sugar. But watch out - once in your mouth you will go back for more, and more, and . . . I'll definitely make this again, it's so simple and easy. I'll be trying it with cranberries in the fall. Thanks spiritussancto! Made for Pic-A-Chef 2012