Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
Wonderful German salad that is perfect for a light summer dinner or as a starter to a meal. Healthy and Tasty! Try to use German condiments when preparing this salad for a more authentic salad. WINE: Franz Karl Schmitt Riesling Spätlese Rheinhessen Niersteiner Hipping 2001 from Germany is a perfect match! Guten Appetit!
Top Review by Dominick & Amanda
If you're considering trying this salad, DO IT! We omitted the meat and shallots and used goat cheese instead of cambozola then followed the recipe exactly. DELICIOUS! Thank you so much for posting. :)
- 20 pencil-thin asparagus spears, washed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (preferably German)
- 2 teaspoons honey (preferably German)
- 2 teaspoons sweet mustard (preferably German)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 cups european mixed salad greens, pre-washed and trimmed
- 1 (19 ounce) jar red beets, balls drained (preferably German)
- 4 ounces sliced paper-thin black forest-style ham or 4 ounces german prosciutto
- 6 ounces crumbled german cambozola cheese, divided
- 1⁄3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 4 slices toasted german bread (e.g. whole rye, "Fitnessbrot," sunflower seed or pumpernickel)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine vinegar, honey, mustard, lemon juice, shallots, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Line asparagus on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with olive oil. Roast for six minutes.
- Line four salad plates with European salad mix, divide beets among salads, attractively roll and arrange ham/prosciutto over salads, top each salad with five spears of grilled asparagus and sprinkle with 2 oz. Cambozola and pine nuts.
- Stir vinaigrette and adjust seasoning if desired; drizzle over salads.
- Butter toasted bread; cut each slice in half and then in half diagonally to form two triangles; sprinkle with remaining 4 oz. Cambozola and place in hot oven just to soften and warm cheese.
- Place four triangles around each salad and serve.