Recipe by Scarlett516
Asparagus season is mid-May through late-June is a common vegetable in Germany. The white asparagus is called Spargel and is particularly popular.
- 59.16 ml butter
- 680.38 g asparagus
- 59.14 ml flour
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 946.36 ml chicken broth or 946.36 ml asparagus water
- 236.59 ml milk or 236.59 ml cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim, peel, and cut the asparagus into 1" pieces.
- Steam the asparagus for about ten minutes.
- Remove the asparagus and save the asparagus water to either make the chicken broth or to use in the soup and omit the chicken broth.
- In a large pot, melt the butter.
- Add the steamed asparagus and oregano. Cook in the butter for a few minutes.
- Add the flour to the asparagus, stir, then add the chicken broth or asparagus water.
- Stir again.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until the asparagus is soft.
- Remove from heat and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the milk or cream, then reheat but do not let the mixture boil. Season with salt and pepper.