Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Asparagus season is mid-May through late-June is a common vegetable in Germany. The white asparagus is called Spargel and is particularly popular.
- Trim, peel, and cut the asparagus into 1" pieces.
- Steam the asparagus for about ten minutes.
- Remove the asparagus and save the asparagus water to either make the chicken broth or to use in the soup and omit the chicken broth.
- In a large pot, melt the butter.
- Add the steamed asparagus and oregano. Cook in the butter for a few minutes.
- Add the flour to the asparagus, stir, then add the chicken broth or asparagus water.
- Stir again.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until the asparagus is soft.
- Remove from heat and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the milk or cream, then reheat but do not let the mixture boil. Season with salt and pepper.