Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have not tried this recipe that was printed in Bon Appetit (March 1993).
- 2 1⁄2 lbs country-style spareribs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 (4 ounce) jarsliced pimientos, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season spareribs with salt and pepper.
- Brown spareribs in Dutch oven over high heat.
- Transfer ribs to plate.
- Add onion and garlic to pot and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients except pimientos to pot and bring to boil.
- Return ribs to pot, stirring them into rice mixture.
- Spread pimientos over top of mixture.
- Turn into casserole and bake (covered) 50-60 minutes or until meat and rice are done.
Great combination of flavors. Easy to make. A great "stick to your ribs" (no pun intended) meal for cold New England nights. Added a lot of black pepper at the end for an extra kick.