Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
- 4 lbs pork spareribs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium white onions, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon shredded orange rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried ancho chile, seeded and finely chopped
- Trim all fat from ribs and cut into individual riblets.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add ribs;cook 10 minutes or until browned on all sides, remove to a plate.
- Keep 2 Tablespoon of drppings from skillet and remove the rest.
- Add the onions, cinnamon, ground cloves (chilies).
- Cook and stir for 4 minutes or until softened.
- Put in the crock pot.
- Process the tomatoes (not drained) and garlic in food processor, or blender until smooth.
- Combine mixture with orange juice, wine, sugar, orange peel and salt and pour into crock;add ribs and stir to coat.
- Cook on Low for 5 hours or until ribs are fork-tender;remove to plates.
- *Ladeljuice out into bowl and let stand 5-minutes.
- Skim and discard fat; stir in vinegar and either pour over ribs or use to dip.