Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My grandpa introduced me to sauerkraut and spareribs and told me how to make it. The brown sugar gives this a distinctively different taste than most sauerkraut and sparerib recipes.
- 1 (20 ounce) jar sauerkraut, well drained
- 4 lbs spareribs (I prefer boneless, country-style)
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (more if desired)
- 1⁄4 onion, finely chopped
- Season the spareribs with salt and pepper.
- Place on a broiler and broil in oven, turning once, until brown on all sides.
- Spread the sauerkraut over the bottom of a 9"x13" pan.
- Sprinkle onions over sauerkraut.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over this.
- Lay the spareribs over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
Since my husband and I are now on low carb diets, we have substituted 4-5 pkgs of Splenda and 1/4 tsp blackstrap molasses for the 1/4 C of brown sugar. The taste remains the same -- Delish!