Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
from Mossey River community cookbook
- 3 lbs spareribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 quart sauerkraut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- Cut spareribs into serving pieces.
- Brown them in a pan or broiler.
- Place ribs in large pan.
- Add salt, onion, and water.
- Cover and simmer for about 1-1/2 hrs until almost tender.
- Taste sauerkraut for acidity, and rinse if necessary in warm water and drain.
- Add to meat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with mashed or baked potatoes.