Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A hearty supper. From "Better Homes and Gardens" cookbook issued in 1942.
Make and share this Spareribs and Sauerkraut recipe from Food.com.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat; saute ribs until well browned on all sides.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions, and saute until translucent; season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add water, cover, reduce heat to simmer one hour.
- After an hour, push ribs to one side of Dutch oven and add sauerkraut, caraway seeds, and apple to the other side; cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- To serve: lift sauerkraut from liquid and arrange on one end of serving platter; place spareribs on the other end of the platter.
You could tell there was some other ingredient mixed with the kraut since it was not so sour tasting. I left the peel on the Granny Smith apple and you could not tell it when served. I also used a vidalia onion. Myself I'd like a little more caraway seed next time. Made for *ZWT 6* I'm on Team *Ya Ya Cookerhood*