1/3 Photos of Spare Veges Chicken Casserole With Puy Lentils
1 hr 30 mins
My boyfriend & I first had Puy Lentils at a restaurant in Paris (L'Ambassade d'Auvergne) & thought they were fantastic. This recipe uses chicken, lentils & any leftover veges you have - we get a weekly organic box so on a Wednesday (the night before the delivery for the week) we have odd amounts of veges left that we don't want to waste. This is how this recipe came about. I used carrots, cabbage, mushrooms etc, but just use whatever you have on hand. If you don't have Puy Lentils, brown can be substituted. You can also reduce the garlic if 4 cloves sounds like a bit much!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the lentils
For the casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 700 g chicken, bone in portions
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 200 g bacon, chopped roughly
- 4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cups assorted fresh vegetables, roughly chopped (see note above)
- salt & pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup of good quality vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 100 ml cream
- 1Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2Place the lentils, bay leaf, water and crumbled stock cube in a saucepan. Heat until just boiling, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 3Whilst the lentils are cooking, heat 1T of the olive oil in a stove top to oven pan (like Le Creuset etc).
- 4Brown the chicken & remove from the pan.
- 5Saute the onions & garlic in the same pan until translucent. Remove from the pan.
- 6Add the bacon (and the extra olive oil if necessary) and brown.
- 7Return the chicken & onions/garlic to the pan & add the thyme, vegetables & lentils. Stir to combine.
- 8Add salt & pepper to taste, along with the bay leaves and stock (because I have a Le Creuset pan I don't need as much stock, however you may wish to add a little bit more during cooking).
- 9Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- 10Make a paste with the flour & butter, and after 30 minutes whisk this through the casserole to thicken. Return to the oven and cook for another hour, or until the vegetables are just softened.
- 11Stir through the cream, grind over extra black pepper if necessary, and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spare Veges Chicken Casserole With Puy Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (599 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 848.5
- Calories from Fat 600
- Total Fat 66.7 g
- Saturated Fat 22.8 g
- Cholesterol 201.2 mg
- Sodium 584.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 43.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
assorted fresh vegetables