Recipe by LilKiwiChicken
I make this when we have heaps of veges left in our weekly organic box, or no meat and only a spare tin of beans in the cupboard. I normally use pinto, cannellini or red kidney beans, although any beans will do. If I have spare tomatoes in the fridge they normally get chopped up and added to this as well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 small dried red chilies, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon paprika, smoked
- 2 tablespoons dried herbs (sage, basil & thyme)
- 1 large zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 large red pepper, cut into rough chunks
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2 (400 g) cans tomatoes with juice, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (400 g) can beans, unsalted
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot on top of the stove (medium heat), and saute the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. Take care not to let them burn.
- Add the dried chillies, paprika & herbs, and stir to combine. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the zucchini and red pepper, and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tins of tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to combine. Heat until bubbling/simmering gently.
- Mash half of the beans and add them along with the whole beans to the mix. Stir to combine, and put into the oven.
- Cook for 45-60 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with rice or mashed potatoes, or just with crusty bread.