Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Greek side dish that goes very well with roasted chicken or other plain meats. Based on a recipe in Sofi's Aegean Kitchen by Sofi Lazarides Konstantinides.
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Saute the onions until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and saute until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice, dill, water, salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly, and cover. Simmer about 15 - 20 minutes until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve warm, garnished with lemon wedges.
Fabulous and versatile dish !! Can be a side or add chicken etc to make a risotto style dish or bind with an egg and bake for a rice pie - loads of possibilities. I used home grown spinach and parsley, even the lemons came from my trees so it was a perfect dish for me to discover. made for ZWT9.
Just terrific!!!!! Always in favor of making time in the kitchen more efficient, instead of cooking the rice on the stove, I sauteed the onions and spinach and then added them to the other ingredients in a 2 quart casserole dish and microwaved it all for 20 minutes. Perfect!!!! Thanks so much for the recipe - it will definately be a repeater in this household.
Really good. I used baby spinach and left out the dill. I would make this again.