Recipe by luvinlif2k
From Extending the Table. Posted for ZWT4. This was one of my favorites at the Nav Jiwan International Tea Room in Akron, PA (at Ten Thousand Villages). I haven't tried it myself yet but wanted to post it for ZWT4.
- 6 cups fresh spinach, chopped (or 10oz. frozen spinach)
- 1 cup feta cheese (or shredded) or 1 cup gruyere cheese (or shredded) or 1 cup cheddar cheese, crumbled (or shredded)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (or 2 tsp. dried parsley)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 12 phyllo pastry sheets, thawed (about one 8-oz. pkg. of frozen phyllo dough)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook spinach in a little water until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Mix with cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, onion, parsley, dill, oregano, salt and nutmeg.
- Melt margarine or butter.
- Brush bottom of 12x7-inch shallow pan with melted margarine or butter. Reserve the rest for phyllo dough.
- Cut phyllo sheets in half.
- Gently separate and place one half-sheet in bottom of pan; fold edges over to fit in the bottom of pan.
- Brush lightly with melted margarine; repeat with 11 more half-sheets.
- Cover unused phyllo sheets with a damp towel so they don't dry out while you work.
- Spread spinach mixture over phyllo dough in pan.
- Place remaining 12 half-sheets of phyllo dough over spinach mixture spreading each with melted butter and folding in edges to fit pan.
- Leftover phyllo can be refrozen.
- Cover pan and bake 25 minutes at 350°F.
- Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes more, until golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, cut into squares and serve.
- OPTION #1: Add1/2 Cup sliced or chopped mushrooms to spinach mixture.
- TIP: Dish can be made up to a day ahead and stored in refrigerator until it is time to bake it. If storing for more than one day, freeze; thaw and bake when you are ready to eat it.