Recipe by Spankie
My Mom made a taco pie very similar to this one. I make mine with a bit more spice and added the chips. I serve with a salad made of standard "taco fixin's" (shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, black olives, sour cream, picante sauce, etc).
- 1 (12 ounce) canrefrigerator buttermilk biscuits
- 1 3⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced (of half of a large one)
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packages taco seasoning mix
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups Fritos chili cheese corn chips, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheese (used Kraft's Mexican Style Four Cheese mixture)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown ground beef in large sauce pan or skillet until no longer pink. During the last 5 minutes, add the onions and green pepper. When the meat is completely cooked and the veggies crisp-tender, drain in a colander.
- Return meat mixture to skillet. Add taco seasonings and tomato sauce. Mix well and cook over medium heat about 10 minutes.
- Open and separate biscuits. Press biscuit dough in the bottom and up the sides of a 12 inch deep dish pie pan. I form the crust 1 inch past the rim.
- Lay about 1 cup of Fritos in the bottom of the pie pan. You can leave the Fritos whole or slightly crush them into large pieces.
- Pour meat mixture into pie pan.
- Top with additional 1 cup Fritos.
- Sprinkle with 2 cups or more of the shredded cheese.
- Fold excess dough up over the fillings. This helps to hold everything and prevent spill-overs in the oven.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and biscuit dough is golden brown.
- Serve with taco salad fixings.